A lifetime in Colorado Springs School District 11
Joseph Shelton is a long time friend and supporter of Colorado Springs School District 11, having grown up in the D11 Education System .
Joseph was born on September 10, 1996 in Colorado Springs, CO. Joseph's Father was in the U.S. Army causing Joseph to travel the world, until he came to settle in Colorado Springs in September 2001.
Joseph lived his education life in School District 11, attending James Madison Elementary School from grades 1-5, Irving Middle School for 6th Grade, North Middle School for 7-8, and William J. Palmer High School for 9-12, graduating in May 2015.
Joseph attended Irving Middle School during the school shut down and was a part of the many progressive students wanting to keep the school open for future generations to attend. Although unsuccessful, Joseph attended Board meetings, protests after school hours, silent protests, meetings with the Superintendent and many other events.
Joseph has volunteered numerous of times for School District 11, attending Board Meetings, assisting North Middle School with Holiday Baskets, as well during his Junior year, he was apart of Superintendent
Dr. Nick Gledich's Student Sounding Board as a selected representative of William J. Palmer High School. Selection was made by Palmer principal Mrs. Lara Disney.
Joseph has a lifetime of Community Activities in Colorado Springs. Joseph is the founder and current President of Colorado Springs Breaking Boundaries, an LGBTQ+ organization in Colorado Springs.
Joseph is currently a Planning Committee Member for the annual Educating Children of Color Conference presented by the Educating Children of Color Inc. (ECOC). In 2013, Joseph was the first ever ECOC Student Representative volunteer for District 11. Joseph was also the first Student Representative on the Board of Directors for the ECOC.
Joseph ran for the District 11 Board of Education in 2019 receiving 10,237 votes. Since that election, Joseph has taken further roles in District 11 sitting on 3 committees. These 3 committees have really helped Joseph to grow his perspective of District 11 and see how he can support the District further into the future.
James Madison Elementary School 2002 - 2008
Irving Middle School 2008 - 2009
North Middle School 2009 - 2011
William J. Palmer High School 2011 - 2015
Pikes Peak Community College in 2015
OC Campus Safety Officer, Colorado College since Sept. 2018
Colorado Notary Public from May 29, 2020 to May 29, 2024
Educating Children of Color Inc.
- Student Ambassador Jan. 2012 - Jan. 2015
- Student Rep. on Board of Directors Jan. 2013 - Jun. 2015
- Planning Committee Member Jan. 2012 - CURRENT
- Chair of Publicity Committee Apr. 2020 - CURRENT
- Co-Chair of Scholarship Committee Feb. 2021 - CURRENT
Colorado Springs Breaking Boundaries
- President Sep. 2018 - Feb. 2019
- Vice President Feb. 2019 - Dec. 2020
- President Dec. 2020 - CURRENT
United Court of the Pikes Peak Empire
- Corresponding Secretary to the Board of Directors
Oct. 2020 - CURRENT
El Paso County Democratic Party
- House District 17 Vice Chair Feb. 2021 - CURRENT
- Senate District 11 Chair Feb. 2021 - CURRENT
- Commissioner District 5 Chair Feb 2021 - CURRENT
Colorado Springs Police Department
- Cadet Explorer Nov. 2015 - Jul. 2017
- Acting Cadet Sergeant Dec. 2016 - Apr. 2017
- Cadet Sargent Jul 2017 - Sept 2017
- Junior Volunteer Feb. 2011 - May 2015
- Member Jr. Volunteer Leadership Aug 2012 - May 2014
- President Jr. Volunteer Leadership May 2014 - May 2015
Tobacco Free Alliance
- IOYS Representative Aug. 2019 - Dec. 2020
Pikes Peak Suicide Prevention Work-group
- IOYS Representative Jan 2020 - Dec 2020
Inside Out Youth Services (IOYS)
- Youth Volunteer Jul 2018 - Apr 2019
- Chair of Youth Advisory Council Jan 2019 - Apr 2019